Wednesday, September 23, 2015

-my eyes are up here-

Most everyone has that one clothing item or accessory that gets a lot of praise, for me it is a red shirt which reads CHINATI in a muted grey tone. It seems that ever single time that I wear this shirt at least two people ask me what it means. People try and guess the pronunciation or ask if it is a combination of the words "China" and "Cincinnati" or some other silly interpretation. The usual answer that I give is a mumbled exhausted explanation that I myself do not really know what the shirt means. Without fail every time I wear this shirt I get question about its meaning. 

100 untitled works in mill aluminum - Donald Judd 
Well here it is folks Chinati is the name of a contemporary art museum site which is known by the name of the small town in Texas where it resides, Marfa. This exhibit is a collection of installation works by mainly Donald Judd and includes many other artists who work is permanently displayed in the military base which the museum is located. The space is made for large installations which may not have a space other than here. With no airport in Marfa the space is kept mostly a secret from the average museum goer and has become a desired road trip destination that I would hope to have the opportunity to visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment