Wednesday, October 7, 2015

-chaos-



My Expression of Chaos -Molly Froman
When watching the Jonathan Gruber film, Miriam Beerman: Expressing the Chaos, I felt emotionally and visually pulled into the work unlike ever before. With the combination of somber score and the visual experience of her work the film captured me and pulled me in unlike any other film has before. It seemed to me that for Beerman art was a real way to express her motions and deal with the cruelty of life that others might ignore. It was very hard for me to watch the end of the film, it was so stinkingly depressing. Knowing that all of the life experiences this woman had will slowly disappear was a shocking reality to me. At one point in the film she said that she did not create art to convey a message, and all messages that others would make of the works were not intended by her. I felt this statement resonate within me, I can only assume that she creates art because it is what she has been doing since she was a kid, it was her only outlet.
These drawings are my sub-movie creation, I decided that I would write down the words which caught my ear. I wrote them down all over the page, and of course because the room was dark I could not see where I was writing or what it might turn out to be. I really liked how it came out with the quote from Beerman "now I have a cat," it captures the film very well for me by putting emphases on the chaos as well as the playfulness of her personality.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the creative approach you've taken to respond to the film. To me, the cloud of your words has a similar quality to Miriam's paintings. On the service level, it appears to be just a jumble of images, hard to process and accept. But, if you look closer, you can see individual elements with their own meanings and significance. Once you accept the chaos there's new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your artistic take on this assignment. I was struggling to make coherent notes in the dark, and in doing so felt like I may have lost some essential visuals in the film. Your methodology not only allowed you to truly grasp (and live) the film, but also create something expressive out of the experience. In fact, your work reminds me a lot of the chaos and spontaneity of Beerman's collages.

    ReplyDelete