Wednesday, October 7, 2015

-pushing past the reality-

"canyouseetheguitar" - Molly Froman
This collection of images, Pushing Past the Reality, conveys the idea of a dream state, a state which memory of the specific is lost and all reality is muffled. These photos aim to push the boundaries of what it means to be a photograph. I want to show that they do not have to be perfect images for the purpose of creating or conveying emotion. Just as Marshall Mcluhan says "the amateur can afford to lose" I am taking the chances with this project by pushing the limits. I can afford myself to lose the prospect of a perfect image by not using the proper tools such as a tripod or the correct exposure that would create a still image. I am in love with the movement found in these photos. I think that I will never be able to escape the experimentalism of the amateur. I was not able to know the outcome of these images because of the long exposure, when I opened the shutter it was all up to the camera to make the image. Not all of the photos in my collection were shot with a long exposure, but they all live in a dream state with a changed reality. All my life I will be playing with what it means to create, I love to push the button of what the viewer wants to see and what I put in front of them. I want to make the viewer confused and question what they are looking at.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your idea of "pushing past reality" in this project. You've gone away from some of the rules of conventional photography to put familiar people/places/objects into a very unreal, alien space in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete